Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sentence 5


Novel: Blue Moon By Alyson Noel


pg.11



Her Sentence
I swallow hard and look at her, knowing exactly what she's after, hoping to kill two birds with one meal.


Commentary: The first thing that I noticed about this sentence was that she said, "kill two birds with one meal," aside from saying, "kill two birds with one stone," which made me giggle. I had to read the sentence twice to make sure that I read it right. Ever, the main character, is talking about her aunt who is afraid that Ever is not eating, and that Ever may not be with the right guy. So her aunt is wanting to take her and her boyfriend out to eat on the weekend, which will confirm or deny her worrisome feelings about Ever. I think I spot a gerund phrase in the middle of the sentence, I love gerund phrases and I love this whole sentence.


My Sentence


I run fast and look at death, knowing what he wants with me, catching another soul with one sweep of his scythe.

No comments: