Friday, March 13, 2009

Anthem

" We are one in all and all in one. There are no men but only the great WE, One, indivisible and forever." These are the words that the people, in the book Anthem by Ayn Rand, had to repeat to themselves when they were tempted to think as an individual. Could you imagine living in a world where you could not be an individual? A world where egos are baned. A world where the world I is obsolete and is a crime to say. A world where saying the word I would get your tongue cut out and have you burned at the stake, in front of the whole town.



That is the type of world Ayn Rand created in her novella Anthem. The main character, Equality 7-2521 goes against all of the new rules of the future. He falls in love with a women, and works in secret to learn more about the "Unmentionable Times" so that he can lessen the toil of his "brothers." From the day Equality 7-2521 was born he saw himself as cursed because he was smart and questioned many of the teachings he was taught, and this made him different so he was always in trouble. Equality 7-2521 was not like anyone else in the City, his soul was not broken and he was strong. So when he finds a hole full of artifacts from the "Unmentionable Times" he sets to work learning more.

Equality 7-2521 is a great character and the book Anthem is an outstanding book. Ayn Rand really know how to get into a person's head and make them think about the world around them. As I read this book, I realized how lucky we are to have all the freedom we take for granted day in and day out. I am reading another one of Ayn Rand's books. The title of the book is Fountainhead. The main character in this book is also a man who is being put down and criticized for his way of thinking, but his situation is a a lot different than Equality 7-2521's. I do not want to go and tell you all about Fountainhead so far because I think that you should read the book to. I am excited to see where the man's journey takes him.

Ayn Rand is my new author to explore for now. I really enjoyed Anthem so I am excited to read her other books. I encourage everyone to read Anthem as a sort of enlightenment. Ayn Rand writes in a very vivid way that makes every scene pop up in front of your eyes.

No comments: