Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Whole New Mind: My Empathy Experience


I just finished the novel A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink and I found the whole novel to be very remarkable. I loved every line of every chapter and I intend on reading his other book Drive. In which he talks about what truly motivates us as human beings. While I was reading A Whole New Mind, I began to ask myself, “Do I think with the right side of my brain, the left side of my brain, or the both sides of my brain?” Daniel H. Pink provides many ways to encourage thinking with the right side of the brain.


One of the six aptitudes or “six senses” that Daniel discusses is empathy. As Pink states, “Empathy is the ability to imagine yourself in someone else’s position and to intuit what that person is feeling.” The first ideal that I learned at the beginning of the empathy chapter is that empathy and sympathy are two completely different actions. Sympathy is feeling bad for some one. Empathy is a deeper emotion, or action. When one feels with someone else, he or she is being empathic.


Ending the empathy chapter is an empathy portfolio, and in the portfolio, Pink lists ways to enhance, identify, or research empathy. I personal chose, out all the great ideas, to take the EQ test. The reason I chose the EQ test is because I was curious as to how empathic I am. This test measures a persons’ Empathy Quotient (EQ), and determines if you have a “female brain.” To be honest I was also interested in finding out if I had a what passed for a female brain just as much as I was to learn my empathy level. The EQ test was constructed by Simon Baron-Cohen, and is only a mere sixty questions long. The test only took me three minutes to take tops. Here is my result and all the possible results:


Your score: 59
0 - 32 = low (most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 20)33 - 52 = average (most women score about 47 and most men score about 42)
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum


I am very happy with my results, and I encourage everyone to try this little test. This test is located at this link: http://glennrowe.net/BaronCohen/EmpathyQuotient/EmpathyQuotient.aspx

Pink also tells of a test that will determine if you have a “male brain.” Simon Baron-Cohen made the “male brain” test along with the EQ test. The “male brain” test’s formal name is the SQ (systematizing quotient) test. Finding out how systematic my brain and I are sounds very appealing and enlightening. The link for the SQ test is as follows: http://glennrowe.net/BaronCohen/SystemizingQuotient/SystemizingQuotient.aspx

1 comment:

Tammy Gillmore said...

I am reading this novel also with a group of teachers for our 21 CLC group...reading your blog reminds me...I should read some more!

Curious...where did you get this clipart? These are some of the exact colors (hopefully) for my class this fall...I really like this clipart!

Hope all is well and that you are having some fun time also this summer!