Friday, October 9, 2009

Sentence11


Novel: Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen




His Sentence

It was as if the sky was holding it's breath.




Commentary: At this moment in the text, the poor boy has been hurt dearly and just awoke to dead quiet and stillness. This use of personification to describe the stillness and the loss of sound makes me oooo and aaaaa. I try to imagine the sky holding it's breath, and the sentence it's self just sounds beautiful to me, even though the situation in the book is a very eerie one, far from beautiful. It is as if the whole world is watching this boy endure all the trials and the sky is worried about what will happen next, just like a lot of people with they watch horror movies and all goes quiet in the movie. The holding of breath brings anxiety.


My Sentence

It was as if the ocean was dancing with me.


No comments: